Sunday, September 12, 2010

Week 5 - Gestalt Effects and Schema Theories

During this Hari Raya Aidilfitri festive session, children are very excited to play with fire crackers and this is when I came up with the idea of asking my daughter, nephew and nieces on whether they know the dangers of playing with fire. They replied by stating that one can get burnt and killed. Then I asked them what do they know about the danger of fire crackers in which they simply answered that you can also get burned. However, I still had to supervise them while they played.

Before the candle was lit up for their perusal, I warned them again and again to be extra careful whilst they played else they would get burnt and will not enjoy Hari Raya (like how I’m feeling now due to assignments). They listened and then the safety caution was taken note of.

So I gave them a five minute presentation about fire safety and how to prevent fire accidents at home (which they reluctantly listened to). First of all I asked them to touch the fire from the lighter. Some felt the heat and some were showing off that he was able to touch the 'small' fire. After that I showed them the picture below:-


Picture 1

Picture 2
Picture 3

Then I told them that small fires can become big and one could lose everything including their lovely home and family such as what had happened with reference to the picture above. I asked them what they would do when they see a fire, and some simply replied dousing the fire with water whilst others said call 995 for Fire Fighter assistance. Other then showing the photo I also taught them how to prevent accidents at home such as not to overload the electrical sockets, switch off any switches when now in use and not to play with fire. Otherwise, we’d end up homeless.

Information derived pertaining to the photos included burnt walls, ceilings, piping, cupboards, pan, stove, switches, fluorescent lights as well as windows. The lower frame also has terminants that can change. For example, the floor could have been made from carpet or tile or wood. To remember and recognise a situation or object faster is the Frame Schema.

According to Wertheimer (1880-1943) five laws of Perception called the Principles of Pereceptual Organisation law are the First Law - Proximity Picture 1 as a whole, it is not grouped together naturally, the second law is about the Similarity where the picture 1 emphasis the burning kitchen while third law is the common fate which is Nil. Fourth law about the Picture 1 is that the Pregnantz which as if inform the viewer about the same things that is burning kitchen and the fifth law is the closure which manupulate perception, as seen as a whole this kitchen might be the where the fire started.

Why I chose this schema was because the real picture requires the ability to conceive and understand what I had presented to my daughter, nephews and nieces. I also choose the congruous schema so that they will understand what are the dangers of fire directly from seeing the picture.

Not much Gestalt theory was used for the presentation I did for the children. All I used was the Schema theory which is appropriate for their age group. They also think it is fun to play but it is sometimes hard to enjoy if we keep reminding them to be careful. From the colorful fire cracker may change into a grayish coloured wall and reddish skin if we get involved with fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment